I had been planning to make Millionaires Shortbread, but then when I remembered how good ginger nuts were and thought about all the flavours together it seemed stupid not to give Millionaires Gingernuts a go (I could maybe have been a little more inventive with the name but hay ho!).
So essentially we have a yummy gingernut biscuit base, topped with sticky caramel and topped off with smooth chocolate.
And here is how you do it...
200g Ginger Nut Biscuits
50g Digestive (or something similar with little flavour)
1 tin condensed milk
200g Milk Chocolate
- Put all the biscuits in a sandwich bag and bash with a rolling pin until they are fine crumbs.
- Melt the butter and add it along with the biscuits to a bowl until all the crumbs are coated and when you press them with the back of the spoon they should hold together.
- Add the biscuits to a square 20cm tin lined with greaseproof paper and pop in the fridge.
- Next get a saucepan, and add in the butter and sugar for the caramel. When these have melted add in the condensed milk and bring to a rapid boil. Then turn off the heat and add the caramel to the tin creating the next layer. Leave it to cool, then put in the fridge to set for about an hour.
- Finally, melt the chocolate and spread over the cooled caramel layer. Put in the fridge once more until it is all set and cold.
- Cut into squares and don't forget (like I did) to heat the knife with warm water to stop the chocolate all cracking.
So that's it ....really simple and tasty!
Let me know if you try it...I know lots of Instagrammers were keen!